Skip to main content

Create table scripts in Oracle, MySQL and Snowflake

Not much text to put in this one but a comparison between create table scripts in Oracle (my normal), MySQL (did not like) and Snowflake (Was very easy). I think the newer version of MySQL would have been easier to work with but this is what I have to work with on my free instance. The next step of this project is to see how easy it is to build a little package that runs these controls. who knows if I can get it working in MySQL or Snowflake perhaps it can be worked properly into this project with its own dashboards. From the Googling I have done so far I am not optimistic about MySQL but I always have the backup of creating something in Python and seeing if it can work for all 3, you can even get free python web servers (I think) so that might be an option. 

Note that for the Oracle code I have already created a basic version of the package. 

Oracle Code: 


MySQL Code: 


Snowflake Code: 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gen AI News - 01/04/2024

According to Gemini here is the latest news:  Here's a rundown on some recent Generative AI news you might find interesting: Nvidia's New Architecture: Nvidia announced their next-gen "Blackwell" architecture for GPUs [1]. This promises a significant leap in performance for running large language models and other generative AI tasks. AI for Mental Health: An article highlighted how chatbots powered by generative AI are being used to help Gen Z with mental health struggles [2]. Amazon Invests in Anthropic: Amazon is making a further investment in Anthropic, an AI startup focused on developing safe and beneficial AI [2]. This suggests big players are keen on the potential of generative AI. Google and Reddit Partner Up: There have been talks about Google and Reddit forming a new partnership [4]. This could involve using generative AI for content creation or recommendation on Reddit. Overall, the field of Generative AI is seeing continued investment and de...

Generative AI News - 03/03/2024

Here are some of the latest news highlights related to Generative AI from this week: Venus Williams and Brain.ai : Tennis legend Venus Williams has ventured into interior design with Brain.ai , a new generative AI-powered platform 1 . It’s fascinating to see how generative AI is being integrated into various domains beyond smartphones. Google’s Gemini AI Controversy : Google’s chatbot, Gemini , faced controversy due to its image generator mistakenly placing people of colour in Nazi-era uniforms. This incident highlights the importance of responsible AI development 2 . Apple’s Focus on GenAI : Apple CEO Tim Cook announced that the company will “break new ground” in generative AI this year 2 . Keep an eye out for exciting developments from Apple. Morph Studio for Filmmaking : Morph Studio introduces an AI filmmaking platform that allows weaving Stability AI-generated video clips into movies 2 . A creative application of generative AI! Adobe’s Project Music : Adobe unveiled Project Music...

Creating a date dimension in dbt and Snowflake

A lot of the data that I am working with doesn't lend itself to creating complex star schemas (more on data modelling in a later post) however I want to try and at least want to go to some effort. The one thing that pretty much all my tables have in common is date, so I want to build a date dimension. My strength training happens on a day, my running and walking, parkrun and hopefully the weather data I intend to integrate will have a date on it. This means if I have a date dimension and I aggregate my various facts at date level I can use them together in a single visualisation.  There are various methods I could have used to create the date dimension and I went with using the dbt spine, this was really simple using the utilities:  Used the date functions in Snowflake to extract relevant fields such as year, month, day in words and year month etc.