Skip to main content

Data Cleansing View in MySQL

I discussed before how I picked up parkrun data from my e-mails, they don't have an API as their system was never designed to cope with the millions of people that now take part. I only want my own data so this works just fine for me. I use a Zap to pick up the e-mail and plonk it in a Google Sheet and the Keboola to process the data into MySQL and maybe soon Snowflake. Actually given the setup I have it would only take 5 minutes in Keboola to add a step to the Flow to pass the output from the view below and put it into Snowflake as a table. I am leaning more towards using Snowflake as long as Retool stays free enough for me to use as the free MySQL database has a very limited session pool and therefore limits the visualisations I can do. 

Anyway the raw data from the e-mail is useless for visuals so I processed the data in MySQL. There might be more elegant solutions but for me it was some experience in how to code this in MySQL and what functions it has. Being primarily used to Oracle it has been interesting doing this in MySQL and Snowflake. The view uses that fact that the e-mail arrives in a standard format to pull out the details I am interested in, such as location, time, parkrun number etc. and allows me to then report on these. 

The code for my view can be seen here: 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Generative AI News - 03/03/2024

Here are some of the latest news highlights related to Generative AI from this week: Venus Williams and Brain.ai : Tennis legend Venus Williams has ventured into interior design with Brain.ai , a new generative AI-powered platform 1 . It’s fascinating to see how generative AI is being integrated into various domains beyond smartphones. Google’s Gemini AI Controversy : Google’s chatbot, Gemini , faced controversy due to its image generator mistakenly placing people of colour in Nazi-era uniforms. This incident highlights the importance of responsible AI development 2 . Apple’s Focus on GenAI : Apple CEO Tim Cook announced that the company will “break new ground” in generative AI this year 2 . Keep an eye out for exciting developments from Apple. Morph Studio for Filmmaking : Morph Studio introduces an AI filmmaking platform that allows weaving Stability AI-generated video clips into movies 2 . A creative application of generative AI! Adobe’s Project Music : Adobe unveiled Project Music...

Creating a date dimension in dbt and Snowflake

A lot of the data that I am working with doesn't lend itself to creating complex star schemas (more on data modelling in a later post) however I want to try and at least want to go to some effort. The one thing that pretty much all my tables have in common is date, so I want to build a date dimension. My strength training happens on a day, my running and walking, parkrun and hopefully the weather data I intend to integrate will have a date on it. This means if I have a date dimension and I aggregate my various facts at date level I can use them together in a single visualisation.  There are various methods I could have used to create the date dimension and I went with using the dbt spine, this was really simple using the utilities:  Used the date functions in Snowflake to extract relevant fields such as year, month, day in words and year month etc. 

Gen AI News - 01/04/2024

According to Gemini here is the latest news:  Here's a rundown on some recent Generative AI news you might find interesting: Nvidia's New Architecture: Nvidia announced their next-gen "Blackwell" architecture for GPUs [1]. This promises a significant leap in performance for running large language models and other generative AI tasks. AI for Mental Health: An article highlighted how chatbots powered by generative AI are being used to help Gen Z with mental health struggles [2]. Amazon Invests in Anthropic: Amazon is making a further investment in Anthropic, an AI startup focused on developing safe and beneficial AI [2]. This suggests big players are keen on the potential of generative AI. Google and Reddit Partner Up: There have been talks about Google and Reddit forming a new partnership [4]. This could involve using generative AI for content creation or recommendation on Reddit. Overall, the field of Generative AI is seeing continued investment and de...