Skip to main content

Google Data Studio Part 2

I have been working with Google Data Studio for some of my visualisations. Now I say only some because I still have the issue with not being able to get it to connect to PostgreSQL and the Snowflake connector is a paid product. To address this I am looking at other products and am hopeful about Retool but will see what functionality is left once the free trail runs out. I am hoping that I am only using the free stuff. 

Building my dashboard in Google Data studio has been pretty easy, there are some things I don't like or can't work out how to do but I am more of a technical data person than a visualisation person, at least for the last 5-6 years that has been the case. 

Honestly the best thing to do it stick a data source in Google Data Studio and have a play. You basically pick a theme and drag and drop your dimensions and measures in and watch it build the graphs on the fly. Below are some graphics of the meu options, inserting a graph and manipulating it. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keboola Flows

Really finding Keboola was the thing that kickstarted this project otherwise I would be trying to build custom code on a python cloud server and building everything from scratch.  In Keboola you build you data sources and destinations using connection details which is fairly simple and something I will likely cover in another post, same goes for transformations etc. Here though I am going to discuss Flows, this is where you bring everything together. On my free account there are some limitations.  My easiest flow is very basic:  Pull parkrun results e-mail from Gmail to Google Sheets (actually done by Zap not Keboola).  Keboola will, as often as I like, in this case once a week, pull the data from the sheet into its storage.  It will then transfer this to the target database. Currently I have this setup to be MySQL database but I can and might expand that to the Snowflake instance within Keboola.  I then, outside of Keboola, connect to the MySQL database f...

Zoho Analytics

Have I finally found my BI Tool, one that lets me import data from Snowflake and share it for free? I know, no sooner have I posted about how hard it was to find a tool that could do anything from Snowflake than I come across Zoho. You can check out my dashboard on the following page . Below is a diagram that outlines the processes I have used to obtain this data. In summary my parkrun e-mail is pushed to Google Sheets every week by Zapier and Forms I submit every day are used to track the strength training I do. Keboola is then used to ingest this data into MySQL and or Snowflake where I then use views or the built in transformation processes in Keboola to shift the data into a format for reporting. Google Data Studio then connects to MySQL and Zoho to Snowflake to visualise the data. 

Generative AI News - 03/03/2024

Here are some of the latest news highlights related to Generative AI from this week: Venus Williams and Brain.ai : Tennis legend Venus Williams has ventured into interior design with Brain.ai , a new generative AI-powered platform 1 . It’s fascinating to see how generative AI is being integrated into various domains beyond smartphones. Google’s Gemini AI Controversy : Google’s chatbot, Gemini , faced controversy due to its image generator mistakenly placing people of colour in Nazi-era uniforms. This incident highlights the importance of responsible AI development 2 . Apple’s Focus on GenAI : Apple CEO Tim Cook announced that the company will “break new ground” in generative AI this year 2 . Keep an eye out for exciting developments from Apple. Morph Studio for Filmmaking : Morph Studio introduces an AI filmmaking platform that allows weaving Stability AI-generated video clips into movies 2 . A creative application of generative AI! Adobe’s Project Music : Adobe unveiled Project Music...