Skip to main content

Getting Weather Data

I decided that I wanted to ingest some weather data through a different means, this time combining Google API scripts to retrieve the data from the API and another script to connect to the MySQL Database and deposit the data. Both steps are setup on a schedule. 

Setting up the API Call: 

I followed the instructions from the following medium post to create a function in Google Apps Scripts that would call an API for me. I use it to call the weather API website and retrieve the weather data for where I live. 

These 2 things combined import the data into my Google Sheet as per: 


I have then set this up to run on a 4 hour schedule within Google Sheets using one of their triggers. 

Getting the data into MySQL:

So now that I have the data in Google Sheets I want to regularly import this data into a database as it only stores a single row in google sheet, though I could probably get it to persist here as well. Looking at my options with the JDBC drivers available MySQL could work and Snowflake couldn't easily and I didn't really want to use a Keboola Flow several times a day to track this. 

I found the following post and modified the code as needed for my weather data and MySQL credentials. I then set that to run on a schedule as well so the data would get imported into the MySQL database on a regular basis and I can look to integrate it with my parkrun and step data to look for correlations between times / number of steps and the weather. 

Weather API: 

MySQL Table Script:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Generative AI News - 03/03/2024

Here are some of the latest news highlights related to Generative AI from this week: Venus Williams and Brain.ai : Tennis legend Venus Williams has ventured into interior design with Brain.ai , a new generative AI-powered platform 1 . It’s fascinating to see how generative AI is being integrated into various domains beyond smartphones. Google’s Gemini AI Controversy : Google’s chatbot, Gemini , faced controversy due to its image generator mistakenly placing people of colour in Nazi-era uniforms. This incident highlights the importance of responsible AI development 2 . Apple’s Focus on GenAI : Apple CEO Tim Cook announced that the company will “break new ground” in generative AI this year 2 . Keep an eye out for exciting developments from Apple. Morph Studio for Filmmaking : Morph Studio introduces an AI filmmaking platform that allows weaving Stability AI-generated video clips into movies 2 . A creative application of generative AI! Adobe’s Project Music : Adobe unveiled Project Music...

Creating a date dimension in dbt and Snowflake

A lot of the data that I am working with doesn't lend itself to creating complex star schemas (more on data modelling in a later post) however I want to try and at least want to go to some effort. The one thing that pretty much all my tables have in common is date, so I want to build a date dimension. My strength training happens on a day, my running and walking, parkrun and hopefully the weather data I intend to integrate will have a date on it. This means if I have a date dimension and I aggregate my various facts at date level I can use them together in a single visualisation.  There are various methods I could have used to create the date dimension and I went with using the dbt spine, this was really simple using the utilities:  Used the date functions in Snowflake to extract relevant fields such as year, month, day in words and year month etc. 

Gen AI News - 01/04/2024

According to Gemini here is the latest news:  Here's a rundown on some recent Generative AI news you might find interesting: Nvidia's New Architecture: Nvidia announced their next-gen "Blackwell" architecture for GPUs [1]. This promises a significant leap in performance for running large language models and other generative AI tasks. AI for Mental Health: An article highlighted how chatbots powered by generative AI are being used to help Gen Z with mental health struggles [2]. Amazon Invests in Anthropic: Amazon is making a further investment in Anthropic, an AI startup focused on developing safe and beneficial AI [2]. This suggests big players are keen on the potential of generative AI. Google and Reddit Partner Up: There have been talks about Google and Reddit forming a new partnership [4]. This could involve using generative AI for content creation or recommendation on Reddit. Overall, the field of Generative AI is seeing continued investment and de...