Skip to main content

streamlit

Over the last few days I have been playing with Streamlit. This is a really useful library that effectively lets you build an interactive dashboard using python. In theory, and somewhat in practice, I can now / have handled extracting data from APIs and DBs, transformed the data using pandas, loaded it into my final database and built a dashboard all using python. From what I have read it can be setup as a form, if I could make it private it might allow me to have direct data entry into my source database as well, else I can still use Google Sheets but might implement it for fun. 

The dashboard below is embedded so it should be updated as I progress with my code. The code below however is from a one of gist, you don't seem to be able to embed from the github repo, but you can find the latest version of the code here. Apparently the embedding of the code failed so just check out the dashboard for now and I will try and get that working.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gen AI News - 01/04/2024

According to Gemini here is the latest news:  Here's a rundown on some recent Generative AI news you might find interesting: Nvidia's New Architecture: Nvidia announced their next-gen "Blackwell" architecture for GPUs [1]. This promises a significant leap in performance for running large language models and other generative AI tasks. AI for Mental Health: An article highlighted how chatbots powered by generative AI are being used to help Gen Z with mental health struggles [2]. Amazon Invests in Anthropic: Amazon is making a further investment in Anthropic, an AI startup focused on developing safe and beneficial AI [2]. This suggests big players are keen on the potential of generative AI. Google and Reddit Partner Up: There have been talks about Google and Reddit forming a new partnership [4]. This could involve using generative AI for content creation or recommendation on Reddit. Overall, the field of Generative AI is seeing continued investment and de...

Generative AI News - 03/03/2024

Here are some of the latest news highlights related to Generative AI from this week: Venus Williams and Brain.ai : Tennis legend Venus Williams has ventured into interior design with Brain.ai , a new generative AI-powered platform 1 . It’s fascinating to see how generative AI is being integrated into various domains beyond smartphones. Google’s Gemini AI Controversy : Google’s chatbot, Gemini , faced controversy due to its image generator mistakenly placing people of colour in Nazi-era uniforms. This incident highlights the importance of responsible AI development 2 . Apple’s Focus on GenAI : Apple CEO Tim Cook announced that the company will “break new ground” in generative AI this year 2 . Keep an eye out for exciting developments from Apple. Morph Studio for Filmmaking : Morph Studio introduces an AI filmmaking platform that allows weaving Stability AI-generated video clips into movies 2 . A creative application of generative AI! Adobe’s Project Music : Adobe unveiled Project Music...

Creating a date dimension in dbt and Snowflake

A lot of the data that I am working with doesn't lend itself to creating complex star schemas (more on data modelling in a later post) however I want to try and at least want to go to some effort. The one thing that pretty much all my tables have in common is date, so I want to build a date dimension. My strength training happens on a day, my running and walking, parkrun and hopefully the weather data I intend to integrate will have a date on it. This means if I have a date dimension and I aggregate my various facts at date level I can use them together in a single visualisation.  There are various methods I could have used to create the date dimension and I went with using the dbt spine, this was really simple using the utilities:  Used the date functions in Snowflake to extract relevant fields such as year, month, day in words and year month etc.