Skip to main content

Using Gen AI to write Kids Books

I have been exploring the variety of options that are available with Gen AI. Not just the different AI tools but the differ things they can be used for. In my day job they can be great for rewriting bits of code or looking up how to do specific tasks in python but the data I work with means I could never ask for anything specific. I am still looking for an interesting home coding project to do but in the meantime I have gotten creative. 

Working with my daughter I have started to create some books for kids. Probably best aimed at around the 6-10 year old mark, they are just fun books with a bit of a laugh in them. The great thing is that it is fairly easy to make the bulk of these books using GenAI which I have also used for cover art and for a bunch of logos and banners for a websites. 

The Website is here and the first book is here (only £0.99 from Amazon). 

The writing process:

Prompt 1: I have idea xyz for a children's book aimed at 6-8 year olds, here is an guide blah blah please write some sections for the book. Note that that might take a few attempts to get the full list of sections and sometimes the sections will need breaking down into chapters. 

Prompt 2: Get the sections / breakdown from the first prompts and plug them into the tools asking for it to write the section. Plug them together. 

Proof Read: The next step is manual but read through the story and check it flows and makes sense. 

Pictures: I used Ideogram to generate my images as it does a better job with text than CoPilot using DALL-E. 



Convert to ePub
: Download as a DOCX and then import into calibre (which is free) and then you can convert it to ePub. There is then a tool to check how things will convert in Kindle. You may have to play around with the contents page to get it to put chapters in correctly. But that probably requires a whole post on its own. 

Overall it is really simple to make a kids picture book using Gen AI and put it on Kindle. I reckon if I put an hours worth of time into it everyday I could easily generate a book a week and once I have a more streamlined process maybe 2. 

So far my daughter has loved both the books I have made and has actually read them both from start to finish. Imagine doing that over 10 years and having circa 1000 books illustrated kids books on Amazon. I mean realistically they aren't going to sell in their thousands but, if you were to make on average 50p profit per sale, and sell 2 of each book a week that is still £1000 a week! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Generative AI News - 03/03/2024

Here are some of the latest news highlights related to Generative AI from this week: Venus Williams and Brain.ai : Tennis legend Venus Williams has ventured into interior design with Brain.ai , a new generative AI-powered platform 1 . It’s fascinating to see how generative AI is being integrated into various domains beyond smartphones. Google’s Gemini AI Controversy : Google’s chatbot, Gemini , faced controversy due to its image generator mistakenly placing people of colour in Nazi-era uniforms. This incident highlights the importance of responsible AI development 2 . Apple’s Focus on GenAI : Apple CEO Tim Cook announced that the company will “break new ground” in generative AI this year 2 . Keep an eye out for exciting developments from Apple. Morph Studio for Filmmaking : Morph Studio introduces an AI filmmaking platform that allows weaving Stability AI-generated video clips into movies 2 . A creative application of generative AI! Adobe’s Project Music : Adobe unveiled Project Music...

Gen AI News - 01/04/2024

According to Gemini here is the latest news:  Here's a rundown on some recent Generative AI news you might find interesting: Nvidia's New Architecture: Nvidia announced their next-gen "Blackwell" architecture for GPUs [1]. This promises a significant leap in performance for running large language models and other generative AI tasks. AI for Mental Health: An article highlighted how chatbots powered by generative AI are being used to help Gen Z with mental health struggles [2]. Amazon Invests in Anthropic: Amazon is making a further investment in Anthropic, an AI startup focused on developing safe and beneficial AI [2]. This suggests big players are keen on the potential of generative AI. Google and Reddit Partner Up: There have been talks about Google and Reddit forming a new partnership [4]. This could involve using generative AI for content creation or recommendation on Reddit. Overall, the field of Generative AI is seeing continued investment and de...

Creating a date dimension in dbt and Snowflake

A lot of the data that I am working with doesn't lend itself to creating complex star schemas (more on data modelling in a later post) however I want to try and at least want to go to some effort. The one thing that pretty much all my tables have in common is date, so I want to build a date dimension. My strength training happens on a day, my running and walking, parkrun and hopefully the weather data I intend to integrate will have a date on it. This means if I have a date dimension and I aggregate my various facts at date level I can use them together in a single visualisation.  There are various methods I could have used to create the date dimension and I went with using the dbt spine, this was really simple using the utilities:  Used the date functions in Snowflake to extract relevant fields such as year, month, day in words and year month etc.